You can make bedding yourself by sewing fitted sheets. While making flat sheets and pillowcases involves sewing in a straight line, a homemade fitted sheet can prove more difficult to sew. You can, though, learn how to make a fitted sheet yourself even if you’re a beginning sewer. If you want to make the process of sewing fitted sheets even simpler, use a flat sheet instead of a large piece of fabric to sew the sheet.
Measure the width, depth, and length of your mattress if you are sewing fitted sheets with fabric.
- If you are using a flat sheet, you only need to measure the depth of the mattress.
to Make a Fitted Sheet3
Prepare your corner markings. Along one outer edge, measure over the depth of the mattress plus 8 inches (20.32 cm) from the corner of the fabric. Mark this spot.
- Measure up the depth of the mattress plus 8 inches from the marked spot. Put a dot at the spot.
- Draw a line connecting that dot to the mark on the edge of the sheet. Draw another line connecting the dot to the edge of the fabric on the other side. This gives you a square on the corner of the fabric.
Fold the fabric, and bring the cut edges of each corner together.
- The right sides of the homemade fitted sheet should face in.
Pin the cut edges together at each corner.Make bedding by sewing the cut edges together with a .5-inch (1.27 cm) seam allowance.
Fold the hems over another .5 inch (1.27 cm), and pin.Sew the hems of the homemade fitted sheet.
- Leave 1-inch (2.54 cm) wide gaps about 8 inches (20.32 cm) away from the sewn-together corners on each side of the sheet. This allows you to thread the elastic through to make the sheet fitted.
Cut 4 pieces of elastic that measure 16-inches (40.64 cm) long.
to Make a Fitted Sheet12
Thread 1 piece of elastic through the hem in 1 corner of the sheet. Pin 1 end of the elastic to the gap on 1 side.
- Attach a safety pin to the end of the elastic to help you push it through the hemmed edge of the sheet.
- Pull the elastic so that the sheet corner gathers around it.
- Pin the other end of the elastic to the sheet on the other end.
Sew the elastic in place on both sides of the corner.Finish making bedding by threading the elastic through the hems on the remaining 3 corners.